Explore Scientific Studies on Wonderful Variety Pomegranates
There are several varieties of pomegranate grown in various locations throughout the world. The following research was conducted exclusively with California-grown, Wonderful variety pomegranates.
• A clinical bioavailability study showed direct evidence of the absorption of ellagic acid from pomegranate juice in humans, with maximum concentration achieved in the plasma one hour after consumption and rapid elimination by four hours. Read the study.
• A study of the pharmacokinetics of pomegranate juice in 18 healthy subjects demonstrated that the presence of ellagitannin metabolites in plasma and urine occurs in two phases: (a) within 6 hours post intake and (b) 12–48 hours following metabolism by colon microflora. Read the study.
• A study of 16 subjects showed that the absorption of active pomegranate ellagitannin metabolites, such as ellagic acid and urolithins, is similar whether delivered by Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice or Wonderful variety pomegranate polyphenol extract. Read the study.
• In a clinical study involving 46 men with rising PSA after prostate cancer treatment (surgery or radiation) who consumed 8 ounces of Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice daily over two years, PSA doubling time increased from 15 to 54 months (p <0.001). A longer term (6-year) continued evaluation of active sub-group subjects showed a further increase in PSA doubling time to 88 months. Read the study.
* PSA doubling time is an indicator of prostate cancer progression.
• A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial followed 289 subjects at moderate risk for coronary heart disease. These subjects consumed 8 ounces per day of either Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice or a placebo beverage. After 18 months, there was no reduction in the progression of intima-media thickness of the carotid artery (CIMT) in the 100% pomegranate juice group as a whole. However, further analysis revealed that the rate of CIMT progression slowed in nearly one third of 100% pomegranate juice subjects, those with elevated cardiovascular disease risk factors. Read the Study.
• In a pilot study of 19 subjects with carotid artery stenosis (plaque buildup), patients who consumed 8 ounces of Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice daily for a one-year period experienced a 30% reduction in intima-media thickness of the carotid artery vs. a 9% increase for the placebo group. Read the study.
• In 13 healthy male volunteers who drank Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice for 2 weeks, the amount of LDL cholesterol oxidation decreased by 20% and antioxidant activity in the blood increased by 9%. Read the study.
• In 45 subjects with ischemic coronary heart disease (reduced blood supply to the heart), coronary blood flow increased by 17% in the group consuming 8 ounces of pomegranate juice over a three-month period vs.18% decrease in placebo group. Read the study.
• In a pilot study of 10 subjects with hypertension, reduction in ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) activity was experienced after consuming Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice daily for two weeks. Read the study.
Composition (includes antioxidants)
• A study found that only 6 of 19 pomegranate supplements tested had compositions resembling that of pomegranates. Most (13) had little or no detectable pomegranate-derived components. Wonderful variety pomegranate polyphenol extract was the most similar to natural pomegranates and had the highest antioxidant capacity. Read the study.
• A study of 27 pomegranate supplements found that only 5 had a typical pomegranate profile. A total of 17 supplements contained little or no pomegranate and the remaining 5 had no detectable pomegranate. The authors hypothesize that most of the supplements evaluated in this study may be less active than that of an authentic pomegranate supplement. Read the study.
• Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice was shown to have the highest Antioxidant Potency Index as measured by a composite of the four leading antioxidant capacity assays. The study compared 35 polyphenol-rich beverages commonly consumed in the U.S., including red wine and concord grape/blueberry/cherry/acai juices. Read the study.
• 100% pomegranate juice and 100% black currant juice demonstrated the highest total polyphenol content and antioxidant potency in a comparative study of 35 U.S. beverages including red wine, green tea, and several deeply colored fruit juices. In addition, the blood serum of healthy subjects who drank 100% Wonderful-variety pomegranate juice and 100% black currant juice for one week exhibited several measures of increased antioxidant activity. Read the study.
• A study compared the total polyphenol content and antioxidant potency of 36 fruit juice beverages sold in Europe. Three 100% pomegranate juice products demonstrated polyphenol content and antioxidant activity that far exceeded the other 33 beverages. Of the three high potency pomegranate juices, only POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice was rich in anthocyanins, a particular class of polyphenol that is found in the pomegranate's juice sacs (arils) and is responsible for the distinctive red color of authentic pomegranate juice. Read the study.
• A pilot study followed 10 subjects with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus who consumed Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice daily over a 3-month period. These subjects showed no negative effects on diabetic parameters. Additionally, a significant reduction in serum TBARS and lipid peroxidase (biomarkers of oxidative stress) were observed. Read the study.
• In a clinical study of 30 subjects with type II diabetes mellitus, subjects consumed either Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice for four weeks, or Wonderful variety pomegranate polyphenol extract for 6 weeks. These subjects showed no negative effects on diabetic parameters, and also experienced stabilization of the PON 1 enzyme and reduced serum oxidative stress. Read the study.
• Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice has been tested by the international Glycemic Index (GI) Program and has been identified as a low-Glycemic Index food (GI=53). Read the study.
• A randomized, placebo-controlled crossover pilot study of 55 men with mild to moderate erectile dysfunction evaluated the efficacy of consuming Wonderful variety 100% pomegranate juice versus placebo. After consuming 100% pomegranate juice daily for 4 weeks, the men reported 50% greater likelihood of experiencing improved erections as compared to placebo. Read the study.
• A study of 16 healthy male subjects evaluated the effectiveness of Wonderful variety pomegranate extract on recovery of muscle strength after damaging eccentric exercise. Wonderful variety pomegranate polyphenol extract taken twice daily for nine days, with an additional serving of extract taken immediately after exercise, led to more rapid recovery of isometric strength in the 48-72 hr post exercise period as compared to placebo. Read the study.
• Literature Review: Overview of pomegranate juice polyphenols and inhibition of LDL cholesterol oxidation and cardiovascular disease. Read the article.
• Scientific and Clinical Monograph: Third party review of Wonderful variety pomegranate-related published prostate and cardiovascular research through 2007. Read the article.
• In a study of 15 healthy volunteers, 8 ounces of pomegranate juice did not inhibit the activity of CYP-3A, a critical enzyme involved in metabolizing drugs. Read the study.
• After daily consumption of 8 ounces of pomegranate juice for one week, postmenopausal women did not experience increased serum estradiol or FSH levels. Read the study.
• In a clinical study with 86 increased-waist-size individuals who consumed Wonderful variety pomegranate polyphenol extract daily, no serious adverse events were experienced. Read the study.